Why Search Engine Optimisation is Crucial to Your Digital Marketing Strategy
How Search Engine Optimisation Fits Into Your Digital Marketing Strategy
Many industry experts have surmised that SEO is central to any effective digital marketing strategy. In an online environment where many businesses are offering the exact same services and products as you do, the question here is, how will you ensure that your website is easily searchable to prospects and customers, and stand out for all the right reasons? This is where the power of search engine optimisation comes in. It will not only make your website easy to find, but also attract quality traffic to your website, and rank highly at the top of the search engine result page at no additional cost to you.
SEO is also about improving user experience on your website. Well-structured, clean, and clutter-free websites compel visitors to stay longer, thereby decreasing bounce rates and increasing page views. Highly relevant content such as sales pages and blog articles keep readers engaged as they are more likely to solve answers to their questions, solve pressing issues and help them find exactly what they are seeking for on your website. There are two main branches of SEO — on-page and off-page optimisation, both of which should be utilised to your business advantage.
- On-page optimisation — This is a technique used to increase visibility and user traffic. It consists of all the measures taken directly within the website in order to improve its position in search rankings. These include strategic keyword placements, meta titles and descriptions, proper alt tags for images, and site indexing.
- Off-page optimisation — This refers to all measures that are taken externally from a website to improve its position in search rankings with a focus on increasing the authority of your domain by getting quality links from different high authority online platforms like websites and social media pages. Its main objectives are link building and website promotion.
Why Search Engine Optimisation is Important to Your Business
SEO helps business owners websites that are not only fast and user-friendly, but also rank higher in search engines which in turn helps build brand awareness and potential customers, thereby increasing conversion rates. Some key benefits include:
- Increase in Quality Traffic — Being ranked amongst the top entries on a search engine result page helps generate higher impressions and clicks, which in turn leads to more website visitors and ultimately more conversion.
- Increased ROI — Search engine optimisation gives you the ability to track and access results which gives you an insight on how your digital marketing efforts are doing and if there are any adjustments needed to be made. Being able to track which path users take, keywords that were used to make the search before an actual purchase was made, this valuable information can help you increase your ROI.
- Cost effective — The ability to specifically target the audience who are actively looking for your product or online service is significantly more cost effective compared to traditional methods of marketing. The more defined and clear your target customers are, the more likely it is for you to achieve a successful marketing campaign.
- Increase in Site Accessibility and Usability — Search engine optimisation makes your website easier for users and search engines to navigate because it rearranges your links and site architecture making it easier to find.
- Increase in Brand Awareness — Being on top of the search engine pages for your target keywords allows users associate your brand with those keywords, increasing the trustworthiness of your brand and will ultimately get a higher number of impressions and views.
- Better Conversion Rates- SEO optimized websites rank higher on SERP, loads faster, are easier to surf and find, and display properly in almost all types of devices. Websites that can be read through and navigated easily are more likely to retain customers, subscribers and returning visitors.
IncorporatIng Search Engine Optimisation For Faster Digital Marketing Results
Search engines like Google and Bing are what drives today’s consumer to the products and services they need. Think about it; a user searching for a specific service or product that you offer, is most likely doing so because they are genuinely interested in knowing more about it, which in turn encourages their purchase decisions. Here are some of the basic tenets of any good SEO strategy:
When it comes to keyword optimisation, the objective is to keep it simple. You will need to research a number of keywords or key phrases for each page on your website and optimize for those. This provides invaluable insights into your consumer’s preferences. If you’re not sure of what keywords to use, get suggestions by entering some preliminary ideas on Google’s Adwords keyword tool or any other free keyword research tool.
Website Audit and On Page SEO
This is all about making sure your website is visible to search engines. A website audit checks ensures all your web pages are properly crawled, indexed and ranked. It is a fundamental aspect of on-page optimisation, such that no amount of optimisation efforts will matter if this technical aspect is not set up as it should. Other on-site elements to focus on include:
- Title Tags
- Meta descriptions
- Internal links
- Header tags
- Image names and Alt tags
- Bolded text where necessary
Content development and marketing are great for both your website visitors and search engines. The key is to make sure the content on your website provides valuable information that your web visitors are looking for and that it is optimised. The more relevant content you have, the more visitors will likely stick around. Content volume is also important. The more content you have, the more search engines will put your web site’s pages in the search index. Common content types include:
- Blog posts
- Industry articles
- How to guides & Tutorials
Off-site optimisation (Link Building)
The primary goal of link building is to get other websites to link to yours. Getting links with keyword anchor text helps in ranking specifically to the keywords that they are linked to. This signals search engines that your website is legit and authoritative since many other websites are linking to it. The most common form is guest posting content on other websites and optimising it with backlinks to your website.
Monitoring Your Results
It is important to keep track of your SEO progress by monitoring your results so you can see which aspects need bolstering. While there are several tools to help you do this, one of the best remains Google Analytics, a free tool that lets you see important stats like website visitors, bounce rates, and keyword rankings.
To stay relevant and competitive, businesses need to be aware of the latest marketing trends. With the evolution and influence of modern era technology, digital marketing has become one of the most efficient and reliable ways of reaching customers, with SEO remaining at the forefront. However, SEO can be time consuming so unless you have a dedicated staff to do it properly, it’s usually best to outsource it to a professional SEO agency.